Wednesday, March 11, 2009

How I Got into Writing!

I'm often asked in interviews how I became a writer. I always loved to write, even as a kid. It wasn't until I got to high school, though, that I really entertained the idea of writing as a profession. That's largely thanks to my creative writing teacher. She said that I was really good at it and encouraged me to pursue it.

While I originally started out as an English major in college, I actually changed majors and got a degree in elementary education instead. But after trying that for a while, I realized teaching wasn't for me and that I really wanted to follow my dream of becoming a writer.

At the time, I had never heard of eBooks. Then I was browsing around the Internet when I came across a website that sold romance stories online. I read some of the excerpts and thought to myself, I can do that. So, I took a story I had already been playing with and really focused on the romance angle. The next thing you know, I had a contemporary romance on my hands. I submitted it and the publisher loved it. She wanted to publish it and that officially started my career as a writer! I was so excited that I did the Snoopy Dance!

Of course, I couldn't do any of it if not for my hubby. He's not only very patient and supportive, but he's also the best research assistant a girl could ask for!


*hugs*

3 comments:

Kate Willoughby said...

Wow, Paige! I was an elementary teacher too! LOL

threesidesofcrazy said...

Sounds like a career that was meant to be.

Sorry, but once a copy editor, always a copy editor. LOL, that said, reread this sentence that you wrote, "At the time, I had never heard of eBooks. Then I was browing around the Internet..." and fix browsing. I hope you don't mind that I pointed that out.

Paige Tyler said...

Kate - Really?! Cool!

Tamy - Thanks! I spell better than I type! LOL!

*hugs*