Thirteen Fun Facts about Hedgehogs!
- they weigh in at a little over a pound
- the average hedgehog has about 5,000 - 7,000 quills
- there are two large muscles on either side of a hedghog's back that raise the quills
- they're omnivores
- baby hedgehogs are called hoglets
- there are fourteen different species of hedgehogs
- while their backs are covered with quills, their face, legs, tail, and belly are covered with fur
- at birth, their quills are soft, but they harden several hours later
- they "anoint" themselves by depositing frothy saliva between their quills, something they do in response to pungent smells
- they are nocturnal
- they have an excellent sense of smell as well as hearing
- they protect themselves by curling into a ball
- they make a purring sound
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!(Leave your link when you comment, and I'll add you here!